What is Research?
The age of enlightenment
Process of rationality and reason.
Enlightenment= period in 18th century when scientific/philosophical thinking made leaps and bounds.
Reason rather than metaphysics
Belief in a unified scientific method (scientism)
The two cultures and the scientific revolution;
- Research should always leave to positive knowable definite outcome.
- Facts with a capital F.
- Separation of fact from value (value freedom).
- Measurement rather than argument.
- The facts speak for themselves.
- Separation and control of variables.
- Quantitative Research
- Qualitative Research
Method - a way of proceeding about something in a systematic or logic manner.
Methodology - The science of method, employed in a particular activity.
- Gender studies
- Communication theories
- Data Collection
The Hermeneutic circle;
- Developed by Heidegger
- Interpretations is a process designed to clarify an experience and assign meaning to it.
- The is aided by the hermeneutic circle which involves looking at different perspectives on events and relating individual components.
- Behind the text
- In/Through the text
- In front of the text
Who is your research for?