Van De Graaf;
- A gridded page is much like scaffolding for a building.
- It is structure that elements can be organised.
- A grid will help continuity to be maintained and information digested with flow.
- the Van de Graaf canon is a historical reconstruction of a method that may have been used in book design to divide a page in pleasing proportions.
- This canon is also known as "secret canon" used in many medieval manuscripts and incunabula.
- The construction of Van de Graaf's canon, works for any page width:height ratio.
- Use this to get symmetrical layouts for books e.t.c.
- Also use this to do Asymmetrical layouts.
The text area and margin proportions are determined by starting page proportions
My attempt at Van de Graaf's canon;
- Column width is more that just design or format.
- It is also based on legibility.
- Printed Collateral (text) is read by the eye of a distance of 30-35cm.
- According to empirical rule there should be 7 words per line for a text of any length.
- To keep the type area light and open (in appearance) we must consider the leading.
- i.e. The vertical distance from the line to line which suits the size of the type.
- Overlong text lines tire the eye, as do overshort ones.
- Readers find overlong lines strenuous to read.
- This is because too much energy is spent on keeping the horizontal line in sight over a long distance.
- A column is easier to read if it is wide enough to fit in average 10 words per line.
- The key is ease of reading.
- Text must not impair the rythm of reading.
- This can not apply to titles and subtitles.
- Advertising functions require headings to standout and be absorbed by the eye. Its function is to sell.
- Are columns just aesthetic creatures?
15pt sans serif
20pt sans serif
24pt sans serif
28pt sans serif
- Margins can have a influence on the overall feel of a page of print.
- Too small - looks over full.
- Too large - exaggeration.
- Well balanced margins on the sides, head and tail can create an agreeable impression.
- Same sized margins can never generate an interesting page design.
- They generate the impression of indecision and dullness. (1by1by1by3)
- Is it all just about aesthetics?
- 1 and 2 column grids
My digital columns and grids;