Wednesday 12 March 2014

Cath Kidston - Bulldog Research

British bulldog.
When reading the Cath Kidston brief I started to think about my target audience, the kind of person she is and what kind of things she would buy. I came to looking into Britain, and why Britain is distinctive, which lead me to looking at the British Bulldog.

Source
I started by looking into the British Bulldog and seeing how it is presented, so I can get idea about how I would create and present a surface pattern about British Bulldogs.

Source
I found a lot of bulldogs with the union jack background, this is something I will try to do. I could maybe create an illustration of a bulldog and place some sort of union jack in the background. I think it sends a stronger message of being British using the colours of the union jack.

Source
A lot of the illustrations that I have found of Bulldogs give the impression that Bulldogs are aggressive and scary, where as they are actually really cute and harmless. I want to portray the Bulldogs in a different light when it comes to doing my illustrations.

Source
I really like this illustration, I like the aesthetic of it and the colours that have been used. I think this has maybe been created with a tablet, and this is something I want to learn how to use and do, although for this brief I don't think it will be appropriate.
Source
This is the sort of aesthetic I am wanting to have when I produce my illustrations, I am wanting them to be vector illustrations, but slightly more detail than this one.

This would make a good screen print which is why I like this illustration. It is also using minimal colours, and as I have a limit of 12 colours I need to be careful of using too many colours in my design. This bulldog is very life like and real, it isn't too much like a cartoon, but also not too detailed that in makes it look scary as other illustration have.
Source
This is also another illustration which I think would work well, although I think that there needs to be more of an outline or detail, as here isn't a lot of definition and the neck and legs blend into the rest of the body. Although I think it works really in this design as its very innocent and childlike.

Source
This illustration look very professional and is very aesthetically pleasing. Although it works really well using the negative space and the facials features defining where the head is, I don;t think it would be appropriate for the Cath Kidston Breif.

From this research I have looked at many different types of illustrations of bulldogs to narrow down what I want to do, and how it will look. I have decided that I want the illustration to be a vector drawing, using minimal colours. I also want it to be quite detailed so that the audience can see where one thing stops, and something else begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment